London — The publishing house of a British newspaper has agreed to pay prince harry a “considerable” sum of money for costs and damages resulting from invading his privacy by hacking his phone and other illegal methods of intrusion, Harry’s lawyer said Friday.
Lawyer David Sherborne said Mirror Group Newspapers agreed to pay all of Harry’s legal costs, plus damages, and would make an interim payment of $505,000 within 14 days. The final figure will be determined later.
Harry was They awarded $177,000 in damages in Decemberwhen a judge found that phone hacking was “widespread and habitual” at Mirror Group Newspapers in the late 1990s, it continued for more than a decade, with executives and newspapers covering it up. Judge Timothy Fancourt ruled that Harry’s phone had been hacked “to a small extent”.
The agreement avoids a new trial regarding more than 115 tabloid articles which, according to Harry, were the result of hacking or other intrusions.
The Mirror Group said in a statement that it was “pleased to have reached this agreementwhich gives our company greater clarity to overcome events that occurred many years ago and for which we have apologized.”
Harry’s accusation against the publisher of the Daily Mirror and two other tabloids is one of several he has done in a campaign against the British mediawhom he blames for ruining his life and harass his late mother, the Princess Dianaand his wife Meghan.
“Our mission continuesHarry said in a statement read by his lawyer outside court.
In June, Harry became the first senior member of the royal family to testify in court in more than a century during his accusation against the Mirror.