This morning the authorities resumed the search by sea for a 15-year-old teenager who was allegedly dragged by the sea yesterday in Luquillo.
Rescuers returned to the water as soon as daybreak today to try to find the whereabouts of a teenager who has not been identified.
The director of the Emergency Management Office of the Municipality of Luquillo, Omar Torresindicated that yesterday he was able to speak with the mother and relatives of the minor, who was identified, but his name was not publicly disclosed.
“I spoke to a 14-year-old boy who was with him. He told me that they were at a distance (from the shore) where the water was up to their chests. When they realized that the current was dragging them and that they could no longer stand on the ground, they tried to get out. Two managed to get out, but the 15-year-old boy did not manage to get out,” Torres said. “By the time they were notified and an adult came, he had already disappeared from the scene.”
The water search had been stopped last night due to sea conditions and darkness, but surveillance never stopped, explained the spokesperson for the Bureau of Emergency Management and Disaster Administration (NMEAD), Mariana Cobian.
He indicated that personnel remained with lighting towers from the coast, until this morning, when rescuers resumed the search with boats.
In a press release, the Police reported that a call to the 9-1-1 Emergency System alerted about a 15-year-old minor dragged by sea currents.
The events were reported at around 3:31 pm yesterday, Sunday, on the beach located behind the Luquillo kiosks.
The minor was described as having a white complexion, long black hair with two braids, brown eyes, five feet and four inches tall, and weighing 105 pounds. He was wearing blue swimsuit pants.
Personnel from the Marine Division of the United Rapid Action Forces (FURA) of the Police, the Coast Guard and staff from the Ceiba area of Emergency Management Bureau and Disaster Management (NMEAD).